X
X

Find Your Specialist

X

Contact Us

    Go Back

    Majority of Costs to Remodel or Refresh Restaurants and Retail Stores Are Deductible Under New Safe Harbor

    NEW 75/25 TAX WRITE-OFF PLAN HELPS RESTAURANTS AND RETAIL STORES REFRESH AND REMODEL

    Confronting complaints about the complexity of the “repair regs”, the IRS announced that restaurants and retail stores may now deduct 75% of remodeling costs and capitalize the other 25% under a “safe harbor” rule. The new remodeling cost rule also has a retroactive effective date, allowing taxpayers to apply it for taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2014. Why did the IRS make the change? The application of the existing capital improvement rules “can be complex because remodel/refresh projects vary so much in frequency, quality, and degree,” the IRS noted. As a result, the IRS and taxpayers are spending too much time trying to sort out whether the costs for upgrading a building should be characterized as repairs, maintenance, or an improvement.

    Deduction v. Capitalization
    Taxpayers may deduct amounts paid for repair and maintenance of business property but must capitalize amounts paid to “improve” a unit of property, such as walls, floors, partitions, and ceilings. The repair regulations define “improvement” as a betterment, restoration, or adaptation of the property to a new or different use. Specifically, the regulations distinguish between refreshing property, which is deductible, versus remodeling property, which must be capitalized and depreciated over time. For example, cosmetic and layout changes to a store’s interiors, relocating lighting, moving walls, repainting and cleaning would be deductible repairs. On the other hand, rebuilding interior and exterior facades, replacing vinyl floors with ceramic flooring, rebuilding walls, and installing new lighting fixtures would be considered capital improvements.

    How the Remodel-Refresh Safe Harbor Works

    The safe harbor rule is pretty straightforward. The taxpayer files a change in method of accounting to use this remodel-refresh method of accounting, and then deducts 75% of its yearly remodel-refresh costs and capitalizes the remaining 25% of costs. The capital expenditure portion is depreciated as a separate asset, generally over 15 years (although up to a 39-year recovery period could apply to some property). Taxpayers get to deduct a substantial portion of their costs, and disputes with the IRS are minimized.

    Who is Eligible for Safe Harbor?
    Restaurants and retail establishments frequently undertake projects to change their appearance and update and refresh their displays and themes. In recognition of this practice, the IRS has limited the 75/25 safe harbor to restaurants, retailers, and those who lease a building to these businesses. Some businesses are specifically excluded from the new safe harbor, including automobile dealers, gas stations, non-store retailers, amusement parks, hotels, and casinos.

    Eligible and Non-Eligible Costs, Documentation Standards

    The IRS’s very detailed remodel-refresh rules are contained in Revenue Procedure 2015-56, which identifies 18 separate items considered eligible remodel-refresh costs and 12 items that do not qualify for safe harbor treatment. The IRS also offers detailed examples of how to elect and apply the safe harbor. Finally, the Revenue Procedure contains documentation standards which taxpayers must follow to keep track of their remodel-refresh expenditures.

    Certainty is a good thing in tax policy, and the new remodel-refresh safe harbor goes a long way toward helping business taxpayers plan effectively for their construction projects.

    Related Articles

    Privacy Overview

    When you use or access the Site, we use cookies, device identifiers, and similar technologies such as pixels, web beacons, and local storage to collect information about how you use the Site. We process the information collected through such technologies, which may include Personal Information, to help operate certain features of the Site (e.g., to prevent online poll participants from voting more than once), to enhance your experience through personalization, and to help us better understand the features of the Site that you and other users are most interested in.

    You can enable or disable our use of cookies per category.
    Always Enabled

    Essential cookies enable you to navigate our Site and use certain features, such as accessing secure areas of our Site and using other features of our service that require us to keep track of certain information as you navigate from page to page. Although some of these cookies are “required” to enable certain functionality, you can disable them in the browser, but doing so will limit your ability to use the features supported by such cookies.

    Functionality cookies are cookies that support features of the Site, such as remembering your preferences.

    These cookies collect information about how you use our Site, including which pages you go to most often and if they receive error messages from certain pages. These cookies are only used to improve how our Site functions and performs.

    From time-to-time, we may engage third parties that track individuals who visit our Site. These third parties may track your use of the Site for purposes of providing us with certain marketing automation features (to help us improve our outreach to current and prospective clients) and providing you with targeted advertisements.